Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'll be home soon

Its hard to see what you've accomplished when the day's light has already begun to fade. Is my Arabic better? Sure, it is. Have a gained a greater understanding of the cultural complexities of the Middle East? I think only a fool can be here without doing so. What about the other things? ...the questions about who I am now and what I've experienced that I can't even form let alone attempt to answer. They're up there; I'm sure. Maybe that is the point though?

...like what it means to live in a place rather than to visit it. I doubt I can come up with an objective answer but believe me when I say that I've been living here for the past 49 days. I think that's the only way to gauge travel on that scale; whichever the traveler believes is likely the case. That's not to say the traveler can't change his or her mind, but it sure feels like I'm leaving a lifestyle and not just a place.

...like what have I learned other than how to conjugate this verb, structure that sentence, or apply a particular conflict resolution theory. So far I haven't come up with any possible answers for this but I like what Peter had to say the most: "I learned to listen more." I agree with him.

So what's my conclusion on this experience other than I haven't really figured it out yet? I know that I'm a better person for it. I know that anyone who thinks he, she, or we can make it all on our own are dead wrong. Hate someone with all your being but they are still your family. We still live in the same house. Diverge in the day but come together to celebrate merrily in the night because you won't live forever. Insha'allah, I've made lifelong friends this season and its thanks to them that I've grown the way I have.

I haven't written much on this blog and what I have may not have been exactly what I intended to write. I knew I didn't want to be mundane and that was it. I guess the content may not have been mundane but the quantity was. Next time I'll try to say more. For now, let me figure out what just happened and then talk to me when you see me. Maybe come with next time.

1 comment:

  1. Very proud of you, happy for your experience and excited to see you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete